Monday, September 15, 2008

Facebook Doesn't Want You To Network

For most of us in the adult world, meeting people (i.e. networking) is the life-blood to generating new opportunities for our business and advancing our careers. Yet, it has become quite clear that some of the larger networks are making it very difficult for people to use these platforms to meet new people. Case in point, a recent Facebook response to a user who they deleted because he was, well... networking!

Dear Sir,

Please note that Facebook accounts are meant for authentic usage only. This means that we expect accounts to reflect mainly “real-world” contacts (i.e. your family, schoolmates, co-workers, etc.), rather than mainly “internet-only” contacts. As stated on our home page, Facebook is a social utility that connects you with the people around you, not a “social networking site”. It is meant to help reinforce pre-existing social connections, not build large groups of new ones. If this is in direct contrast to what you expected as legitimate Facebook usage, I apologize for any confusion. This is simply the intention behind the site.

Thanks for your understanding,

Lauren
User Operations
Facebook

As many of you who have read my blog know, I've been fairly critical of Facebook as a platform for doing business. My criticism to this point has been two-fold: 1) The network is inherently too 'social', 2) There are very few features (if any) that help you market your business.

Well, now it's time to add a third reason:

Facebook doesn't allow you to network!

By Facebook's own admission, it is okay for Facebook to use your profile to make money (advertising)... but god forbid you use your own profile to try to sell something to anyone other than the people you already know.



Good Luck!

Bill



9 Comments:

Blogger Tristan said...

Very good words of abvice Bill!
I have been using Facebook as my soul means of networking for a new company that I recently started working with and they have associates across the globe that have been added to my list of contacts. I worry now if I will be thrown off the site for misuse of the site and not following there rules of conduct. Its very sad when they have the use of our images and info to promote themselves as you mentioned and we users are limited to social idle chat with people that we really don't want to talk to from our past anyway...(otherwise we would have already been in contact with them years ago.) In most cases anyway.
So one avenue shut down always leaves room for another avenue to open up. I will gladly provide any links to worthy networking sites and share any gems of information as it comes available for networking channnels.

All the best

Tristan

7:28 AM  
Blogger Richard Ellis said...

I got booted by Facebook for reaching out to connections. I wrote a personal note to each one. Each note was different so some spam software would not flag me. I sat down and wrote to ten friends, just ten. Well, Facebook suspended my account. Facebook will not respond to my emails asking why. It has been a year and a half and they still do not answer. I thought LinkedIn customer service was slow.

www.richardlellisjr.blogspot.com

www.linkedin.com/in/richardellis

Richard Ellis

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Jaime Caris said...

Thank you for the clarification... This eliminates one that I have to remember to log into :)

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill just read your blog re facebook absolutely agree same thing has just happened to me. Facebook were very keen to take my advertising dollar for Strongest Man merchandise, but when I began to network with bodybuilding, strongman and fitness fans the disabled my account and refused to justify there actions.

No need to reply but can I just say that I use several sites LinkedIn , e-cademy etc and have been really please with Fastpitch especially the press release and stats functions

Thanks

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anne said...

Thank you so much for your comments. I have been trying to establish a network on facebook and it's just not working. I'm only receiving friend requests from the Middle East!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Placement agency said...

Nice information ..i have account in facebook and i m increasing Network day by day .. but till date .i have no prob with Facebook.
Regards,
GlobalHunt

3:46 AM  
Blogger I Am Agel said...

Great subject...I've been thrown off about 9 times now......but I keep starting over because of gaining awesome prospects worldwide......what I do is just open up a new email address and start over when the delete me....I have an add friends problem...I keep adding and adding new friends daily and they stop you after so many.....I will try one more time to set up my account there ....if they do it again...I will boycott them! They hate when you include a link in group postings also.....just some tips to help you there....
http://viralnetworks.com/a/3335
http://www.pownce.com/tonybeach

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not real sure why anyone would want to business network on Facebook anyway. The site is entirely too social. Do I really want that much transparency with people I do business with?

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Brenda Franzo said...

Hi Bill! I am so glad that I came across this post about Facebook. I've been using Facebook for a while now, just a little networking at a time and not much has been happening.

All you hear about today is "you should be on Facebook", "the best place to network is on Facebook" and I was getting ready to really get down and get in to networking there....now this post is making me rethink that.

I had no idea that they were like this, but it all is starting to make sense now. Thanks for providing this great information.

Brenda

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home