Saturday, December 30, 2006

A Mile A Day. . .

I am going to run at least 1 mile per day, every day during 2007. I will not miss a day.

I’ve never been one to make a New Year’s resolution. If I have, I can’t remember any of them, and I’m pretty confident I’ve never followed through on one. In fact, I’m not really sure this is a resolution at all. Oh well. It’s New Year’s. I need to come up with something before tomorrow night (New Year's Eve).

It's going to be tough. I’m definitely not a runner, and it will be easy to want to neglect a few runs throughout the year as each pasing day becomes busier. Yet, despite all this, I know this is something I need to do. Here's why:

Reason #1
A couple of months ago, my wife woke me up on a cold, windy Sunday morning and asked me to do a 5-mile race called ‘Bill’s Beer Run’ along Casey Key in Sarasota, FL. Normally, I would have come up with some excuse not to do it, but on that day I said, “Why not?” Afterall, they did name the race after me! I ended up doing the run, ran pretty well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the first race I had ever taken part in. I'm hooked.

Reason #2
A few weeks later, I stumbled across an article about Dean Karnazes. He’s the guy who does these Ultra Marathons (200+ miles) and just completed 50 Marathons in 50 States in 50 days. He’s now running across the U.S. from New York City back to his home in San Francisco. Needless to say, what he’s doing is pretty inspiring stuff. Consider my 'mile a day' commitment my own version of Dean Karnazes's 50/50/50.

Reason #3
A few days ago (Christmas), my wife gave me one of these new Nike+ sensors that tracks all your runs (time, distance, calories, etc…) through your iPod. It allows you to upload all of your runs to the Nike+ website and let’s you chart your progress. You can even compete against other people from across the world. Cool stuff.

Reason#4
I can afford to lose a few pounds.

There you have it. Some days I’ll run 5 miles, others 2 miles… but never less than 1 mile each day. That’s my goal. I won’t miss a day. Period. On December 31, 2007 I should have run somewhere between 365 – 1,000+ miles (depending on how many longer runs I do) over the course of the year.

Okay Bill… Good for you. What on earth does any of this have to do with Fast Pitch!?

It has everything to do with Fast Pitch! Here’s why:

Similar to running, business networking and marketing (particularly if you are a small business owner) is often an isolated an individualized effort. How hard you work (train), how many people you meet (miles) and how many sales you can close (competition) will determine whether you win or lose. Think about it… for every mile I run this year, it becomes that much easier to run the next mile and win a race. For every connection you make throughout the year, it becomes that much easier to make a new connection and close a sale.

One of the things I noticed about the Nike+ website is that it not only allows you to track your performance (statistics), but it ranks you compared to others across the world. Their product has revolutionized the sport of running by creating a stronger sense of accountability and competition in what is otherwise an individualized sport (oh, and I’m sure they’ll find a way to sell more shoes along the way).

Fast Pitch! is no different. When you log-in to our website you can view all of the traffic your profile receives as well as how many successful connections you’ve made. We’ve also created a sense of competition on the website by recently adding the ability to see who the Top Networkers are as well as which Press Releases are receiving the most ‘hits’ and so on. We too, are revolutionizing an industry.

Our hope is that the features we’ve added (and continue to add) will make the Fast Pitch experience more fulfilling while inspiring you to continue to network, market your company and ultimately drive new sales to your doorstep.

Apply my ‘mile per day’ philosophy to your networking activity on Fast Pitch by taking the time to make at least 1 meaningful new connection everyday during 2007. You too will end up with between 365 – 1,000 new contacts by the end of the year. Compound those numbers by the number of people each of those people know, and your personal network will have grown significantly by December 31, 2007

If I can do it. So can you!

Happy New Year.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home